Green Day - London Wembley Stadium - 19th June 2010

So here we are, first trip to Wembley - home of English football exactly 24 hours after English football appeared to implode on a field in South Africa. Top place too.. padded seats, cup holders, leg room.. it's more like our local cinema seating than a football stadium.


Due to the usual logistics of getting anyone other than just myself to a gig, we end up in our seats just after Joan Jett hits the stage. We missed Frank Turner but the people around seemed to think he was really good, so maybe I'll check him out.  I'll be honest I don't know any Joan Jett songs apart from the odd Runaways number or her biggest singles, but she played around a dozen and got a really good reception from the crowd. We missed "Bad Reputation" (the American Chopper theme tune) but caught "Cherry Bomb", "ACDC", "I love Rock and Roll" and my personal fave "I hate myself for lovin' you".

I reviewed Green Day on their last tour (just HERE actually) and said it was one of the best gigs of my life, had I not seen that one and known what to expect, then this would have taken the prize. It was certainly as good, and considering that they are playing an Enormodome like Wembley Stadium , it speaks volumes as to how they still manage to interact with the crowd and make every one of us think we're involved. I'm not just talking about the usual "wave your arms in the air" stuff that me and many men of my age refuse to do at gigs (without the copious amounts of alcohol)...frankly at a Green Day gig you get drawn in and you end up shouting, clapping, singing and, yes, waving your arms in the air like a teenager that just drunk it's first pint of Snakebite.


 I won't repeat what I said on the last review (go read it!) but everything I said is still true.. Billie Joe is so underrated as a vocalist, he sings note perfect all night...and all night is a 3 hour, non-stop set.

Nice to see some more older tracks this time around - and judging by the response a large portion of the crowd knew them all not just fans that had come on board since American Idiot.

It's not a gig, it's a party and you feel like you've personally been invited.



                        
All photos (C) Amy Robins
NR 10/10                    

Popular Posts from last 30 Days