Chantel McGregor – Leeds Brudenell Social Club – 30 June 2013

A new venue for me and with cheap beer and great view of the stage it has everything going for it.

Support tonight was from Albany Down. I caught the last five songs of their set and really enjoyed what I heard, so I’ll be keeping an eye open for them in the future.

Local girl Chantel McGregor open up her set with Caught Out, what we didn’t know was that we about to hear a drum and bass version of the song as Chantel’s guitar cut out half way through. After a short delay the technical problems were sorted out and the set was kicked off again with a full version of Caught Out. Though the sound seemed fine to me I’m not sure that Chantel was happy with the stage sound during the evening.   


Tonight Chantel and the band played a full selection of songs from her debut Like No Other CD, with highlights for me being Fabulous, Like No Other and Help Me. A cover of Steve Ray Vaughan’s Lenny went down well, especially with the bloke stood next to me.


The surprise high spot for me was an acoustic interlude which included a Bonnie Raitt cover and a cover of Lady Ga Ga’s Edge of Glory. The turning of this song into a beautiful ballad brought the appreciative crowd to a respectful silence. This section was brought to a close with the Cat Song again from the Like No Other.


There was one new song in the set (sorry I missed the title) which sounded great but no mention of when we might see a new CD.

The evening was brought to a close with the brilliant Freefalling. Great vocals, great guitar work and great backing from Rich and Keith on bass and drums.  Let's hope it's not long until Chantel McGregor plays West Yorkshire again. Ta.


NH

Popular Posts from last 30 Days