Black Stone Cherry (Parlor Mob and Loaded) at O2 Academy Oxford 24th October 2009

The usual early start at the O2 Academy due to the 10pm curfew and 3 band line-up, saw The Parlor Mob take to the stage when most people were settling down to their tea. I'd only heard "Hard Times" prior to seeing them, and I really like that track so had high expectations - especially as Classic Rock Magazine rates them so highly. However I'm afraid I was disappointed. Loads of people in the room seemed to like them but for me it was too self indulgent, too many long-winded jam sessions that went nowhere.

Next up was Duff Mckagan's Loaded. I wasn't too sure what to expect live from the ex G N' R and current Velvet Revolver man but I was very impressed. A varied collection of punk tinged tracks, straight ahead rockers and the odd acoustic ballad. As well as their own tracks such as Sick, Wasted Heart we also had the Damned's New Rose, the Misfit's Attitude and of course It's So Easy from some old band he used to play in.  Duff came across very well as a front man and wasn't fazed at all as a particularly hairy backed member of his crew came onstage in just his boxers and danced around during one of the tracks.

Fellow Rockgig contributor ME and I reckon that this is probably the last time that we will see BSC at this venue - they've simply outgrown it now. They were welcomed onstage to a huge cheer and the whole place erupted with "HERE COMES THE RAIIIIIINNNNN!!" at the opening track of Rain Wizard.  They just get better and better, belting out tracks like Soulcreek, Blind Man, Please Come, Hell or High Water, Things my Father Said, Peace is Free.. we were also treated to Yeah Now (which is one of their earlier tunes) and a really slow but cool version of Mannish Boy.

Full setlist was :
Rain Wizard
Backwoods Gold
Shooting Star
Cowboys
Yeah Man
Blind Man
Hell or High Water
Please Come In
Soulcreek
Drum Solo
Peace Is Free
Sweet Home Alabama
Hoochie Coochie Man
Maybe Someday
Lonely Train
Can't You See
Things My Father Said
We Are The Kings
Voodoo Child (Slight Return)
..I remember a snippet of ZZ Top's Just Got Paid in there somewhere too !

..and they threw doughnuts into the crowd too...a first as far as I can remember!

NR.

Popular Posts from last 30 Days