Saxon & Anvil – Leeds O2 Academy - 10th November 2009


Somehow Anvil passed me by in the 80s, now with their recent fame via the Silver Screen they find themselves supporting the mighty Saxon. I rapidly downloaded a few tracks (how modern I hear you say) and had a listen. To be honest I still wasn’t over impressed and I wasn’t either by two tracks in to their set. Now I’m not sure what happen on the 3rd song but suddenly I found myself enjoying it and it just got better and better, by the time the cardboard Anvil was lowered from the ceiling (I kid you not) during Metal on Metal I, and most of the crowd were totally hooked. A great fun set. This is what Rock n Roll should be about. Lips was outside signing everything and anything after the show. Top marks to him and the rest of the band.
No need for a hasty download of Saxon songs for me, I’ve grown up with this band It’s just short of 29 years since Biff first told me to "Fill My Head With Heavy Metal Thunder". Tonight though we had the small matter of passing the Battalions of Steel before we hit the Heavy Metal Thunder. The classics just kept on coming, Dallas 1PM, Strong Arm of the Law, Bands Played On, 747, Crusader, Backs to the Wall, Power and the Glory, Back on the Streets, Wheels of Steel. Newer but equally good songs included Dogs of War, Travelers in Time, Solid Ball of Rock, Live to Rock. For encores we had Denim and Leather, which featured Lips from Anvil and barnstorming version of Princess of the Night.
I’ve been lucky enough to see Saxon four times in just over 12 months and they’ve always delivered the goods. It was great to see a big crowd in Leeds, hopefully the band have really turned a corner and will be playing to crowds more fitting of their true status when they play the UK in future years. I was glad to see that Biff was wearing his poppy. Well done that man.
Saxon on Tuesday, Bernie Tomré (GMT) on Sunday this is one hell of a week for me.

NH

Popular Posts from last 30 Days