Blue Touch Paper – The Wardrobe Leeds – 21 May 2012

A totally new experience for me and rockgig’s first review of a Jazz show. I am here to see Colin Towns, former keyboard player with Gillan in his latest venture Blue Touch Paper.


The first half of the set opened up with the crashing sounds of Blue Touch Paper before moving onto more mellow and haunting tracks containing some great saxophone from Mark Lockheart which were well received. A track which was based around Macbeth was my least favourite of the evening and it didn’t seem to be alone in this as the applause was slightly muted. The set was brought to an end with really heavy track with a rift that could have belonged to Led Zeppelin before moving in to a great drum and guitar solo from Benny Greb and Chris Montague.

The second set contained the only vocals of the evening from Colin Towns on Principle Dancer before moving to great conclusion with a drum and percussion session from the remarkable Benny Greb and Stephan Maass who were ably support by Edward MacLean on bass. Through the night I think my favourites were Wall Have Ears, Transcending and Say What You Mean.

It was obvious throughout that the band are all talented musician and yes it was different to anything I’d been to before but I enjoyed it and I’m really enjoying the CD Stand Well Back, so a big thank you to Colin Towns for expanding my musical horizons.

You can checkout the band at their website

NH

Popular Posts from last 30 Days