Shinedown, Halestorm and Liberty Lies – 12 Feb 2012 - O2 Academy, Bristol

Ok! Where to start? I have been a Heavy Metal freak…sorry, I mean, fan, for way too many years than I’d like to count. In that time I’ve seen numerous bands, both big names and local talent. Like many of us oldies, time passed and I kind of lost track of new bands and new sounds until You Tube entered my life. While trawling through a myriad of fabulous memories encased in old videos of the Glam era, I happened to stumble upon a few newbies. One track led to another and I eventually discovered a band called Shinedown. Shinedown are an American band from Jacksonville, Florida and have been on the metal scene since 2002. The band consist of lead vocalist Brent Smith, Barry Kerch on drums, guitarist Zach Meyers and the aptly named Eric Bass on…bass!!! It was love at first listen. Their sound varies from full on fast metal rips to smooth ballads that only the tamed sound of a metal band can make, as if ice is being dripped down your spine. Similar in genre to Nickelback, Chris Daughtry, Seether and many more, it’s a sound you can’t liken to anything from the 70’s or 80’s as music evolves and as such has a completely new sound and feel. I must admit that finding these bands over the last few years has re-ignited my love of heavy metal. So much so that when Shinedown announced a UK tour this year I jumped at the chance to see them live.

February 12th 2012 at the O2 Academy in Bristol, Shinedown was one of THE best gig’s I’ve been to, far out performing some of the ‘so called’ bigger, all-time greats that I’ve seen. Maybe this was because you actually felt close to the band as the venue itself was small enough to feel intimate but big enough to fit 1500 fans! The polished and professional performance that Shinedown gave was worthy of double the £15 ticket fee (not to mention that small fee also included Halestorm and Liberty Lies, worthy of the fee alone!). Songs such as The Crow and the Butterfly, The Sound of Madness and Devour were sung by everyone with ear splitting gusto! Emotive songs such as If You Only Knew and ’45 were given the respect and vocals they deserved and songs off the new album Amaryllis, called Bully and Enemies (my favourite!) went down extremely well with us all. The obvious camaraderie between the band themselves came across to the audience and the love and respect was fully mutual. Often, lead singers will woo the crowd with ‘you’re awesome…love you all…best fans on the planet!’ which tends to come across as fake and patronising but Brent’s heartfelt thanks and appreciation did actually feel real and personal. It was fully appreciated back!

I came out of the gig that night and felt totally bereft! If I could have followed them around the country attending every show, I would have! Sadly, reality bites and the needs of work called me back to the M4 and normality. Damn!
Their new album, Amaryllis, is out now!
SJ

Popular Posts from last 30 Days